Tamales de Salsa Roja

Poor little Mia has been waiting for this video for forever! I made this video about a month ago but it was having problems uploading due to the length so I kept having to cut it down when I had free time, which I do not have too much of anymore. This is a great recipe. One thing that makes my tamales a little different from the authentic ones is that I use butter instead of lard. I'm just not down with the whole lard thing and I try to avoid it where I can. Some of my recipes just have to have it. I have done this recipe with lard, shortening and butter and have found that I prefer the butter. If you want to go 100% authentic then use the same measurement of lard as I use butter.
I think that's about it folks! Can you believe it is snowing a little bit here at my house today and it's the last day of September....What the heck? Crazy weather, but a good day for tamales and champurrado. Yummy! Mr. Mexican told me that once again I need to apologize for my horrible pronunciation. Sorry amigos, I still have a ways to go. =)

See you in the Kitchen,

Tina



Fill pot with water and add the following

3 lbs Boneless country style pork ribs
1 white onion (cut in rings)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 carrot (sliced)
1 poblano chile ( sliced )
handful cilantro (last 15 minutes)


Toast and soak

5 chile pasilla
4 chile guajillo
3 chile cascabel
1 chile arbol (add more if you want it hot)

30-35 corn husks

Masa

4 -5 cups tamale maseca
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder (I think this got cut out of the video)
1 1/2 cups butter, lard or shortening
3 cups broth from pork (you can always add more but you can't take away, so go easy)

one onion sliced in rings to fry with meat.
Salt the meat as needed after you mix the sauce in.