CONCHAS

I have so many fond memories when I think about Conchas. Every time we go to visit our Family in Mexico my father in-law makes a special trip to the local Panaderia to purchase some of these sweet treats. I think the thing that makes it so special is that I know he really can't afford to. He just loves us so much that he scraps every peso he has together to buy some. Money has always been very tight for Cesar's family but for them to share even something as simple as Conchas with us is so special. I know it makes his dad so proud to do this for us. After having these a few times I new I needed to learn how to make them. Here is what I have come up with. I hope you enjoy this recipe and find a special way to incorporate making these into a family tradition.





DOUGH
3 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups flour

TOPPING
2/3 cup white sugar
1 stick of butter
1 cup flour

Divide topping in half
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Sprinkle cinnamon sugar, white sugar or colored sugar over the top.

These photos were sent in by viewer friend Maricela.
If you want to share a photo of anything you make from this site, please send it and I will post it for everyone to see.